“Tithe My Shoes” was started in 2014 by Millard “Mudd” Murphy, former mayor of Central Square and executive director of the Oswego County Conference of Mayors. The drive’s goal this year is to collect 1,001 pairs of shoes by Dec. 4 so the shoes can be repaired and delivered in time for the holidays. Murphy works with Ralph Rotella, owner of the Discount Shoe Repair store in Syracuse, who donates his time to clean and fix used shoes to help others in need. This drive is an effort to bring shoes to Oswego County for those in need.
“Everyone deserves a comfortable and warm pair of shoes, especially as the colder weather approaches,” said Barclay. “I am happy my office can serve as a collection point for the shoes and applaud Mudd in his efforts to collect shoes every year.”
Last year the drive, which worked with a number of local congregations and offices, collected 879 pairs of shoes. Donations will go to Rescue Mission stores located in Syracuse and Oswego County.
Barclay and Murphy welcome people in the community to drop off any new or gently-used shoes at any of the locations listed below.
Shoes may be dropped off at the following locations:
● Mallory Wesleyan Church at 5 Baum Rd. in Mallory
● Central Square Community Church at 833 State Route 11 in Central Square
● Victory Bible Church at the corner of Route 11 and Hungry Lane in Central Square
● Divine Mercy Roman Catholic Church at 592 S. Main St. in Central Square
● Caughdenoy United Methodist Church at Rte. 37 in Caughdenoy
● Trinity Episcopal Church at 1492 Rte. 29 in Constantia
● Assemblyman Barclay’s office at 200 N. Second St. in Fulton (Second floor, above the Department of Motor Vehicle Office)
● Village of Central Square Municipal Offices at 3125 East Ave. in Central Square
● Oswego City Hall at 13 W. Oneida St. in Oswego
● Village of Mexico Muncipal Offices at 3236 Main St. in Mexico
For questions, please contact Mudd Murphy at 315-952-2828 or email [email protected]