Millard “Mudd” Murphy, former mayor of Central Square and executive director of the Oswego County Conferences of Mayors, started the annual drive, “Tithe My Shoes” in 2014 and has organized the drive every year since then. This year’s goal is to collect 999 pairs of shoes and boots. This annual shoe drive is being coordinated with a shoe drive in Onondaga County. The Onondaga County shoe drive is coordinated by Ralph Rotella who is the owner and operator of Discount Shoe Repair shop in Syracuse. Over the years, Rotella has collected and donated more than 15,000 pairs of shoes. In addition, Rotella, at no charge, will repair any damaged shoe or boot that is donated.
Locally, past shoe drives have resulted in hundreds of pairs of shoes and boots being collected and donated to local organizations, including the Rescue Mission at 57 E. Bridge St. in Oswego. The shoes collected from Oswego County residents this year will once again go to help families in Oswego County.
Barclay welcomes people in the community to drop off any new or gently-used shoes and boots at his district office or any of the locations listed below.
“I am pleased to participate in this annual shoe drive once again to help those in need. In the past, people have been generous. I hope to see that generosity continue in order to reach the goal of collecting 999 pairs of shoes from throughout the Oswego County area,” said Barclay.
Shoes may be dropped off at the following locations:
● Mallory Wesleyan Church at 5 Baum Rd in Mallory
● Central Square Community Church 833 State Route 11, Central Square
● Victory Bible Church at the corner of Route 11 and Hungry Lane in Central Square
● Assemblyman Barclay’s office at 200N. Second St. Fulton (Second floor, above the Department of Motor Vehicle Office)
● Village of Central Square Municipal Offices 3125 East Ave, Central Square
● Oswego City Hall at 13 W. Oneida St., Oswego
For questions, please contact Mudd Murphy at 315-952-2828 or email [email protected]