Trailing 2-1 after the doubles competition – as Bridget Bender and Lorrayne Broach teamed for an 8-5 win in the second slot – Oswego waged a comeback in singles. The Lakers were able to capture second, fourth, fifth and sixth singles to score the triumph.
Erin Vargo clinched the deciding match in the back-and-forth sixth singles match. After falling 6-2 in the first set, Vargo went the distance with a 7-6 victory – that included an 8-6 tiebreak – to force a deciding set. In the third, the freshman outlasted her opponent with a 6-3 win.
Jill Travis started the singles session off with a straight-sets 6-0, 6-1 win over her Elmira counterpart at second singles. Bender and Haru Kobayashi won in straight-sets as well at fourth and fifth singles, respectively. Bender clinched her match 6-2, 6-4 while Kobayashi went 6-2, 6-1.
Oswego will return to the courts at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday when it travels to Utica College to face the Pioneers in a nonconference match.
OSWEGO 5, ELMIRA 4
1. Megan Fitzgerald (ELMIRA) def. Alli Ulrich (OSWEGO) 6-0, 6-2
2. Jill Travis (OSWEGO) def. Eliza Johnson (ELMIRA) 6-0, 6-1
3. Emily Green (ELMIRA) def. Jill Burns (OSWEGO) 6-1, 6-4
4. Bridget Bender (OSWEGO) def. Sarah Hill (ELMIRA) 6-2, 6-4
5. Haru Kobayashi (OSWEGO) def. Danielle Bliss (ELMIRA) 6-2, 6-1
6. Erin Vargo (OSWEGO) def. Cassie Brown (ELMIRA) 2-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
1. Megan Fitzgerald/Katy Jewett (ELMIRA) def. Alli Ulrich/Jill Travis (OSWEGO) 8-2
2. Bridget Bender/Lorrayne Broach (OSWEGO) def. Emily Green/Sarah Hill (ELMIRA) 8-5
3. Eliza Johnson/Cassie Brown (ELMIRA) def. Jill Burns/Erin Vargo (OSWEGO) 8-6